[Equest-users] Modelling Heated Windows in eQuest

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Wed Jul 29 15:28:12 PDT 2015

A related elephant in the room: of the actual installed heating capacity
(i.e. “what’s drawn”), only a fraction of that heat will find its way into
the conditioned space.  That figure is what you’ll want to use for the
baseboard heating capacity, if you do decide to go that route.

Some years back, the same topic of “active heating” windows came up with a
robust discussion thread.  I’ve pasted what’s in my archive below for
reference.  I’m not sure we came to any conclusive “best practice”
suggestions, but the discussion should prove helpful in determining your
own path forward!

You might want to consider foregoing the idea of any of this heat will
substantially contribute to the interior conditions.  Put another way, you
may assume most heat will migrate to the colder side of the glass, that is
the exterior.  Running with that and in lieu of using baseboards, you could
perhaps more simply set up this energy as a direct process or meter load
with an on/off/temp schedule.

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*