[Equest-users] Heat Recovery Increases Cooling load

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Fri Dec 18 06:53:44 PST 2015

Here are some of my observations on modelling ERV in eQUEST with a VAV system:

The main problem with adding heat recovery to a system in eQUEST is that reliance on the default settings causes a large increase in the fan energy, and also leads to over heating of the mixed air stream during periods of low space heating and space cooling demand. Over-heating of the mixed airstream leads to activation of the cooling coils when they would otherwise not be needed (e.g. during economizer operation) and to higher space cooling energy overall. Taken together, this increase in both fan energy and in space cooling energy can overwhelm the energy savings from heat recovery.

As Brian notes, in the second heat recovery tab, the static pressure defaults are high
and adding 1” of static to the supply/return fans increases the supply and return fan power on the full supply air flow rate during ERV operation and overestimates the fan energy. It is better to use the self-contained option and set the fan and motor efficiency parameters to match the ERV fan power specs. In this case, the increased pressure will only be applied to the flow through the ERV itself and only when the ERV is operating. It may also be the case that the supply and return static pressure entered at the system level already accounts for the extra static pressure from the ERV (it often is if you are using cut sheets from the manufacturer and the ERV is built into the air handler). In this case, you should set the ERV fan power to zero by setting the static pressure to zero. Note that fan power from the ERV is not reported with the system fan reports in the SIM file, it is only reported in the ERV reports.

Also, as Brian notes, it important to allow the ERV to be turned on and off as needed. Control is usually achieved through the use of bypass dampers or in the case of an energy wheel through modulation of the heat recovery by changing the speed of the wheel. In cold climates, it is important to model frost control which is set in the second ERV tab. I usually set this to match the control method specified in the first ERV tab.

Hope that helps,
Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, PPhys, LEED® AP O+M
danielk at arborus.ca

Arborus Consulting
Energy Strategies for the Built Environment
www.arborus.ca
76 Chamberlain Avenue
Ottawa, ON, K1S 1V9
Phone: (613) 234-7178 ext. 113