[Equest-users] 90.1 G3.1.1 and Manufacturing Facilities

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Tue Apr 28 12:09:30 PDT 2015

Hi Marcus,

Noting the phrase "predominant condition" sources from the subnotes of Table
G3.1.1A, and addresses separate issues from those tackled by the exceptions
under section G3.1.1, it is my impression you should be free to leverage
G3.1.1 exception 'b' for the zones with atypical process loads, even if
those zones make up the majority of the facility by area.  I can't speak for
LEED precedent in this circumstance, but your proposal  passes my gut check
for what it's worth.

That said, you should ideally:
1. Spend at least one hot coffee mug trawling through
http://www.usgbc.org/leed-interpretations to collect/review any directly
applicable precedents.  If you come up empty, a cursory review of
http://www.leeduser.com/discuss may be illuminating, but be mindful even
though GBCI/USGBC staff participate there, those discussions are not
considered "official" and are less cite-able.
2. Take the stance/tone of "does not seem appropriate" and develop that into
a strong justification to leverage this exception.  Have a discussion with
the mechanical designer(s) so that you can concisely address why a CV system
makes sense for the actual design in lieu of a VAV system, and further
outline how the substantially different process/occupancy loads in play
support this descision.
3. Present that justification and proposal to use a Baseline system type #4
for those spaces to GBCI prior to submission (read: well in advance of your
own submission deadline), to get an official response you can directly cite
in documentation.  Leverage the "certification question" button here:
http://www.usgbc.org/contactus

A related point/suggestion: in the past I've handled the conundrum of
process-heavy facilities of this nature, where the incident process loads
drown out the otherwise substantially energy-efficient building systems.  I
have since resolved that next time I am handling one of these projects under
LEED-NC, I would open a discussion with GBCI to propose applying the LEED-CS
alternative compliance path (ACP) for EAp2/EAc1.  From putting that to
practice, it strikes me as a very fair and appropriate alternative framework
to adjust LEED EAc1 point thresholds, rewarding efficient design
hidden/muted behind substantial process loads which the building owner may
have little/zero influence or control over.

Just food for thought - though that may be a battle you might want to pass
on ;)

Best of luck,

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.