[Equest-users] Constructing chiller part load curves

Afaan Naqvi afaan.naqvi at arup.com
Tue Jan 18 18:32:34 PST 2011

After browsing the forums, it seems there are many users that have constructed custom chiller curves based on selection data. I believe I have all the data I need to do this, but am coming up with polynomial coefficients and hourly results that do not make sense at all. Can someone please walk me through how to go about building the 3 curves for a centrifugal, water cooled chiller with a VSD based on the following data:

% Load

Capacity

kW in

Perf

Evap T in

Evap T out

Conden T in

Coned T out

100

85

53.6

0.63

54

44

85

94.8

75

63.8

29.8

0.47

51.5

44

75

82

50

42.5

13.3

0.31

49

44

65

69.5

25

21.3

6.9

0.32

46.5

44

65

67.2

I believe the additional data I need is calculated below, except for the dT term which I am unclear on:

Load

PLR

kW

f PLR

85

1

53.6

1

63.8

0.751

29.8

0.556

42.5

0.500

13.3

0.248

21.3

0.251

6.9

0.129

Not sure if the dT term required by the curves is the difference in condenser supply and return, or condenser and evaporator supply, condenser supply and evaporator return, etc. Can someone please clarify?

Thanks

Afaan Naqvi  PE  LEED AP