[Equest-users] BEPU space heating calculation

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Wed Aug 25 14:04:12 PDT 2010

John,
Internal gains figure into Ben 's approach by choosing a HDD number based on a balance point temperature that is below the actual space set point.
The balance point temperature is a theoretical temperature at which the building does not require heating because the internal gains offset the envelope loads.
To say it accounts for solar gain is a stretch but hey it is just a hand calc.
Ben does not state which HDD base he chose, but there are published values for temps like 55F, 60F, 65F etc.

Ben,
It is good you are checking your results but I would ask do you believe your baseline model?  Try your HDD calc on the your building U rather than the differential.  How does that gas consumption compare to your baseline model heating gas consumption?
Does a different HDD base fit your model better?

If you think your baseline model is okay, when you changed the U did you also change your shading coefficient?   A lower SC would eliminate some passive solar heating.
A daylighting interaction could be another possibility.

You'll figure it out.
Paul Riemer
Dunham