[Bldg-sim] Help design a survey for modelers

chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 14:09:01 PST 2023

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure whether I can commit to helping, but I think the outcome of
such a survey will be very insightful. Keep me posted and I'll help if I
can.

There is a lot of diversity in how simulation is applied depending on where
you are in the world. It will be interesting to see how the eco-system has
evolved in the last 10-15 years.

Speaking from my own narrow experience, many that I know use tools and
possess skillsets with applications well beyond their day jobs. For example,
my day job is 90% certification which is boring, but makes reasonable money.
There are initiatives toward more meaningful use of simulation, but these
tend to be in the minority and the work carries more risk than certification
(commercial, technical, and professional).

There have been some major changes since your 2010 survey. BIM has grown,
but seems yet to bring about the changes it's promised. AI is a new "big"
thing and average users may be more aware of coding now.

Cheers

Chris