[Bldg-sim] New book: Building Performance Basics

Pieter De Wilde pieter.dewilde at strath.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 01:18:17 PDT 2022

Dear bldg-sim colleagues:

I am happy to announce the publication of my latest book: Building Performance Basics. This is published via Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and available via Amazon.

Building Performance Basics is a short book that complements my earlier major book Building Performance Analysis, which I published with Wiley in 2018. The new book is an introductory text/reader that aims to introduce building performance to students at BSc and MSc level. It also serves as a primer for those entering the industry, and as refresher for those who are already in practice but want to sharpen their view. As the book with Wiley is rather encyclopedic and a bit heavy for some, the new book has been designed to have a different tone and set-up: short and cheerful, published with Amazon KDP in order to be quick to market, brief and to the point, and more persuasive in order to champion the importance and role of building performance.

Building Performance Basics deals with core questions about building performance: Why is it important? What exactly is it? Where does it play a role? When are there opportunities? Who should champion building performance? How do we quantify it? And How much performance should we aim for?

Building Performance Basics aims to provide a solid foundation for further professional development and learning about building performance, and for claiming leadership about building performance in practice. In academic courses, I hope that building performance basics will be a good companion guide to provide context to modules that introduce students to hands-on performance quantification efforts using simulation, measurement and occupant surveys. In industry, this book can be used at any time where there is a wish to refresh a role as building performance champion.

As Building Performance Basics is published via KDP, the revision cycle is short. So I am very keen to hear any feedback and suggestions. I’m also keen to hear from anyone who is adapting this for their courses or in industry.

Best regards,

Pieter de Wilde

Pieter de Wilde
Professor - Department of Architecture
Faculty of Engineering
University of Strathclyde
Level 3 James Weir Building  | 75 Montrose Street | Glasgow G1 1XJ