[Bldg-sim] IBPSA-USA June 2021 Newsletter

Steven Ayala sayala81 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 09:31:36 PDT 2021

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/ibpsa.us/june-21-newsletter-3175077?e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=57dc392f1f&e=8a5b2340ff>
 June 2021 Newsletter
IBPSA-USA News
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=716781d16f&e=8a5b2340ff>
*Join the Emerging Professionals and Students of IBPSA-USA (EPSI) Group*

IBPSA-USA is proud to unveil, EPSI, a brand-new networking group for
Emerging Professionals and Students. This group will serve IBPSA-USA
members who have 5 years or less of experience in the building performance
industry. EPSI will host and share events with its membership that focus on
topics to build the knowledge base and confidence of emerging professionals
and students entering the work force: professional development hurdles,
academic paths, fundamental building energy modeling skills, etc.

Read More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=4d07c33b50&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=29ddfc9ae7&e=8a5b2340ff>
*Ask a Modeler: What is the Best Approach to Simulating Geometrically
Complex Buildings?*

This month Adam Ozinsky, Environmental Designer at Atelier Ten, replies: *"Dear
Not Always Right-Angled, A medium-famous architect once commented: if it's
not a right angle it’s a wrong angle. As square as that approach may seem,
it did make modelling slightly more straightforward than with some of the
geometrically complex creations we see in vogue now. For better or for
worse, complexity has made our days as building performance modellers more
challenging. And our nights longer..."*

Read More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=4eb6e6829b&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=077711fe86&e=8a5b2340ff>
------------------------------

*Sponsored Content from EDSL - Learn to Code: Take your Energy Modeling to
the next level with Excel*

EDSL have launched a new blog series aimed at teaching Tas users how they
can harness their powerful in-built API with Microsoft Excel, in order to
save time and money by automating tedious and repetitive tasks. Want to
learn how to create internal conditions from a spreadsheet, automatically
analyze simulation results or effortlessly calibrate an energy model? This
is the place to start.

Read More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=2520e53fb4&e=8a5b2340ff>
------------------------------

See All News
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=786b0fdc9e&e=8a5b2340ff>

Upcoming Events
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=5b67d8782e&e=8a5b2340ff>
 & Training
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=36511bb162&e=8a5b2340ff>
IBPSA-USA Events:

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=fc93ccd400&e=8a5b2340ff>
*June 22: Daylight Happy Hour: The Solstice Sessions - IBPSA-USA
Architectural Simulations Simulations Subcommittee*

Please join us for our first ever virtual Happy Hour – IBPSA Mixa - and
celebrate the summer solstice! Tune in to two daylight-focused
presentations: Sukreet Singh will present on the benefits of daylight
design focused on the human well-being, followed by Yue Liu’s presentation
on predicting long-term luminance maps using deep neural networks. Stay
after for an interactive daylight-themed Jeopardy! round, and social time
to meet and chat with other IBPSA-USA members. We hope to see you there!

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=05ff71ae90&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=4fefcfb3d2&e=8a5b2340ff>
*June 24: Design for COVID-19 and Beyond: New Use Cases for Computational
Fluid Dynamics and Multi-Agent Simulation - IBPSA-USA Research Committee*

COVID-19 has challenged our community to rethink the way buildings are
designed and engineered. In this talk, researchers at Autodesk will present
two projects that make use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and a
third project involving multi-agent simulation, to explore the potential
benefits of these detailed modeling techniques in the face of infectious
diseases and climate change.

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=393d0572fd&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=ab5eb097b7&e=8a5b2340ff>
*Sept. 30: IBPSA Project 1 - New Generation Computing Tools for Building
and District Energy Systems*

This Research Committee of IBPSA-USA presentation gives an overview of
IBPSA Project 1. It explains work done on the Modelica IBPSA Library and
other Modelica libraries that implement the library as their core
repository of models. Next, case studies and related projects for building
and district energy system design are presented that illustrate the
capabilities enabled through this technology.

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=1aa1e0eca3&e=8a5b2340ff>
Other Events and Training:
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=388610b11f&e=8a5b2340ff>
*June 22-30: EnergyPlus for Practitioners Training - Big Ladder Software*

This workshop focuses on the needs of the energy modeling practitioner in
order to get you up to speed and highly productive with EnergyPlus as
quickly as possible. We cover the fundamentals of EnergyPlus such as
geometry and internal loads while rapidly ramping up to advanced topics
such as HVAC systems and controls.

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=2aab204dbc&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=b101b6dd7e&e=8a5b2340ff>
*June 28-30: ASHRAE Virtual Annual Conference 2021*

The 2021 Annual Conference is now going to be held online in a virtual
format. On-demand seminars and conference papers will be made available at
the start of the conference, and the live portion will contain a mix of
standalone and concurrent sessions, similar to the schedule of the 2021
Virtual Winter Conference.

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=94f1d737f3&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=4ad0597e64&e=8a5b2340ff>
*July 12-14: OpenStudio Launch Pad Training - Big Ladder Software*

This workshop aims to quickly launch you into the world of the OpenStudio
application for EnergyPlus. We cover the major features and capabilities of
the application including creating and editing geometry using the full
OpenStudio plugin for SketchUp, managing space types and internal loads,
and configuring HVAC systems and controls.

Learn More.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=1f717a38f3&e=8a5b2340ff>

Committees and Working Groups
We encourage all members to participate in our BEM Community. Our wide
array of Committees offer members the opportunity to participate in
important work, meeting new friends and feel great about moving our
industry forward. All committee meetings are open and we encourage everyone
to drop in anytime.

*See our meeting calendar for all upcoming meeting dates and times.*
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=3b575b45e0&e=8a5b2340ff>

   - Research
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=afdf0001ec&e=8a5b2340ff>
   - Education
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=d384f39a3d&e=8a5b2340ff>
   - Communications
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=8cd557e2e4&e=8a5b2340ff>
   - Finance and Development
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=c020322444&e=8a5b2340ff>
   - Building Data Exchange
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=d2a68dafd2&e=8a5b2340ff>
   - Chapters
   <https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=b3c0f208a5&e=8a5b2340ff>

IBPSA-USA Education on Demand
New Videos Added
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=c5ff84cebf&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=1de0b30265&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=f3bedd2599&e=8a5b2340ff>

IBPSA-USA Denver Chapter: Student Presentations 2021
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0ee44278a4&e=8a5b2340ff>

Using Agile to Run Your Performance Analysis Team more Effectively: Lessons
from Software Design - IBPSA-USA Research Committee
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0528c10b1c&e=8a5b2340ff>

Emerging Simulation Techniques Across Industry and Academia - IBPSA-USA
Boston Chapter
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0b30a542a2&e=8a5b2340ff>

A Demo of Common BIM to BEM Workflows Using gbXML and the New gbXML
Validator
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=5b465c4181&e=8a5b2340ff>

IBPSA-USA Job Board
Below are just a few of the jobs available now. Browse current open
listings on our job board, and sign-up to post your own:
*https://jobs.ibpsa.us/*
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=1da54ec3be&e=8a5b2340ff>

Senior Sustainability Consultant at Arup
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=6aeaf7aefb&e=8a5b2340ff>

HVAC engineer with a passion for holistic indoor environment design
at Transsolar KlimaEngineering
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0e146d4087&e=8a5b2340ff>

Building Energy Modeling Software Engineer at VEIC
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=bc497b7876&e=8a5b2340ff>
Thank you to our sponsors for their continued support!
Become an IBPSA-USA sponsor.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=f68aac04f0&e=8a5b2340ff>See
all of our sponsors.
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=70ce355e86&e=8a5b2340ff>
Platinum
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=df69d5d1a4&e=8a5b2340ff>

 Gold
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=054398b321&e=8a5b2340ff>
Silver
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=707405c9d1&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=3ad15f3daf&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=c604b086cc&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=242c1ec68b&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=2c65fc5007&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=4ea566bcc9&e=8a5b2340ff>

<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0dec6e0e9f&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=88a122a66f&e=8a5b2340ff>
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=fb9833f19d&e=8a5b2340ff>
*Copyright © 2021 IBPSA-USA, All rights reserved.*
You are a member of IBPSA-USA or have opted in to our newsletter in the
past.

*Our mailing address is:*
IBPSA-USA
5356 Locksley Avenue, Oakland, CA, United States
Oakland, CA 94618

Add us to your address book
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/vcard?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0769126d70>

unsubscribe from this list