[Bldg-sim] IBPSA-USA June 2020 Newsletter

Steven Ayala sayala81 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:47:31 PDT 2020

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/ibpsa.us/june-20-newsletter-3174859?e=[UNIQID]>
<http://ibpsa.us/>
 June 2020 Newsletter
Thank you to our sponsors for their continued support! Become an IBPSA-USA
sponsor. <https://www.ibpsa.us/become-sponsor>See all of our sponsors.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/our-sponsors>
Platinum
<http://energy.gov/>

 Gold
<http://www.sce.com/>
Silver
<https://www.designbuilder.co.uk/>   <http://www.atelierten.com/>

  <https://www.edsltas.com/>    <http://www.iesve.com/>

<https://www.trane.com/>   <https://www.group14eng.com/>
<https://www.sketchup.com/>
IBPSA-USA News
<https://www.ibpsa.us/news/ask-modeler-how-well-do-building-simulation-programs-model-thermal-bridging>
*Ask a Modeler: How Well do Building Simulation Programs Model Thermal
Bridging?*

This month Som S. Shrestha, R&D Staff Scientist at Oak Ridge National
Laboratory, replies: *"Dear Learning, Building envelopes are
non-homogeneous, so heat transfer through a building envelope is not one
dimensional due to thermal bridging. However, thermal bridges cannot be
explicitly modeled in most whole-building simulation tools, including
EnergyPlus..."*

Read More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/news/ask-modeler-how-well-do-building-simulation-programs-model-thermal-bridging>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/news/improve-your-simulation-expertise-designbuilders-new-demand-training-content>
------------------------------

*Sponsored Content: Improve Your Simulation Expertise With DesignBuilder's
New On-Demand Training Content*

Having been the first to provide great on-demand content for our customers,
we are excited to announce another industry first…DesignBuilder’s brand new
(and more in-depth) interactive on-demand training content is now
available, so you can take your modeling skills to a new level!

Read More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/news/improve-your-simulation-expertise-designbuilders-new-demand-training-content>
------------------------------
See All News <http://www.ibpsa.us/news>
IBPSA-USA Education On Demand
 New Videos Added <https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/all>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/all>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/all>

IBPSA-USA Education Committee: Energy Storage Systems, DER, and
Decarbonization
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/energy-storage-systems-der-and-decarbonization>

Green Teams: The Missing Link in Climate Action - IBPSA-USA Denver Chapter
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/green-teams-missing-link-climate-action>

IBPSA-USA Boston Chapter: Reviving the Local Chapter in the Era of Video
Conferencing
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/ibpsa-usa-boston-reviving-local-chapter-era-video-conferencing>

IBPSA-USA Research Committee: Open-Source Software Package for Energy
Efficient Data Center Design & Operation
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/open-source-software-package-energy-efficient-data-center-design-and-operation>

IBPSA-USA Chicago Chapter: Modeling Resiliency Strategies with Renewable
Energy Systems
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/modeling-resiliency-strategies-renewable-energy-systems>

IBPSA-USA Chicago Chapter: Anticipating Energy Use Demands of COVID-19
<https://www.ibpsa.us/videos/listing/ibpsa-usa-chicago-chapter-anticipating-energy-use-demands-covid-19>

IBPSA-USA Job Board
Below are just a few of the jobs available now. Browse current open
listings on our job board, and sign-up to post your own:
*https://jobs.ibpsa.us/* <https://jobs.ibpsa.us/>

Open positions in Berkeley Lab’s Simulation Research Group
<https://jobs.ibpsa.us/job/open-positions-berkeley-lab%E2%80%99s-simulation-research-group>

Energy Analyst at Architectural Nexus in Salt Lake City, UT
<https://jobs.ibpsa.us/job/energy-analyst>

Upcoming Events <http://ibpsa.us/events>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/energy-storage-systems-der-and-decarbonization>
*June 17: Energy Storage Systems, DER, and Decarbonization - IBPSA-USA
Education Committee*

Eric Mannarino from the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) will
discuss the role of energy storage in the decarbonization of our electrical
system. He will also touch on the Storage-VET and DER-VET software that
EPRI has produced to model energy storage systems (both BTM and FTM).

Learn More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/energy-storage-systems-der-and-decarbonization>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/free-webinar-using-energy-modeling-optimize-gshp-system-design>
*June 17: Free Webinar - Using Energy Modeling to Optimize GSHP System
Design*

In this webinar, Brendan Hall of CHA Consulting will show you how he used
DesignBuilder to model and optimize the trade-off between the construction
cost, and operational energy consumption savings, of a Ground Source Heat
Pump (GSHP) system in a recent project.

Learn More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/free-webinar-using-energy-modeling-optimize-gshp-system-design>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/ibpsa-usa-boston-chapter-june-2020-meeting>
*June 23: IBPSA-USA Boston Chapter June 2020 Meeting*

Please join the Boston chapter of IBPSA-USA as we hear from Shreshth Nagpal
of Elementa Engineering for a presentation on *Urban Energy Analytics for
Cost-Effective GHG Emissions Reduction*. And also Andrea Love, and Melanie
Silver, of Payette for a presentation on: *The Fusion of Design and
Performance: Integrating Building Science into Architectural Practice.*

Learn More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/ibpsa-usa-boston-chapter-june-2020-meeting>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/bim-bem-mission-impossible-or-pursuit-happiness-ibpsa-usa-research-committee>
*July 23: BIM to BEM: “Mission Impossible” or “Pursuit of Happiness”? -
IBPSA-USA Research Committee*

This webinar walks you through common issues faced when translating
geometry from BIM to BEM. Subsequently, the presenters offer a few
workarounds based on their experience and workflows that “alleviate” the
pain of creating “clean” BEM geometry from BIM.

Learn More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/bim-bem-mission-impossible-or-pursuit-happiness-ibpsa-usa-research-committee>
<https://www.ibpsa.us/2020-building-performance-analysis-conference-simbuild-co-organized-ashrae-and-ibpsa-usa>
*Aug. 12-14: News about the 2020 Building Performance Analysis Conference
and SimBuild*

With your safety top of mind, the 2020 Building Performance Analysis
Conference and SimBuild will not take place in Chicago, IL, August 12-14,
2020. Instead, we will present the conference in a new and convenient
virtual format. Additional details concerning the virtual conference will
be available in the coming weeks

Learn More.
<https://www.ibpsa.us/2020-building-performance-analysis-conference-simbuild-co-organized-ashrae-and-ibpsa-usa>
*Copyright © 2020 IBPSA-USA, All rights reserved.*

unsubscribe from this list
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0769126d70&e=[UNIQID]&c=138ae7191c>
    update subscription preferences
<https://ibpsa.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=545ecdecc811a6e412a8810dd&id=0769126d70&e=[UNIQID]>