[Bldg-sim] Mapping ASHRAE and Koppen Climate zones

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Wed Apr 29 10:15:45 PDT 2020

Not exactly a mapping, but ASHRAE Standard 169-2013 and 90.1-2019 have tables that show ASHRAE climate zones for international locations.

I found this paper from Purdue about evaluating European climate zones:
https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1299&context=ihpbc

If you have a table compiled of the Koppen perhaps you can compare. It may not be 1:1 on the mapping since ASHRAE uses CDD/HDD and humidity and it appears that Koppen includes some seasonal variance in their categorization.

Here’s a sample for UK from 90.1-2019 – it appears to only show “A” side and none in B/C humidity zones for the UK. I do see some B/C in the other countries so it must be considered at some level.

[cid:image003.png at 01D61E1F.E8066140]
David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., BEMP, BEAP, HBDP, GGA
Associate

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Mobile: (773) 490-5038

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers

grummanbutkus.com<http://grummanbutkus.com/> | Blog<http://grummanbutkus.com/blog> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/GrummanButkus-Associates/1385285015032526> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/grummanbutkus>