[Bldg-sim] Simulation or historic weather files for Northern Pakistan

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri Mar 1 13:08:08 PST 2019

As you probably realize, this is an  area of the world with almost no observed weather
data.  The only remotely usable data I have from the ISD (Integrated Surface Hourly
Database)  are nine months of data (April - October) 2011 in Skardu. However, there are
satellite-derived solar radiation and computer-modeled weather conditions from the MERRA-1
Climate Forecast Model for anywhere in South Asia from 2000 through 2014 available as part
of NREL's National Solar Radiation Database on line at https://nsrdb.nrel.gov/nsrdb-viewer
.  Unless you want to spend several weeks doing so, I would not suggest that you delve
into either data sources, nor would I recommend using the modeled weather data from
MERRA-1, which I have found can be wildly off, especially in South Asia locations.

Since I've already got the data for Skardu for both data sets, I can see if I can use the
partial 2011 data for Skardu to bias correct the MERRA-1 data,   which would then get you
a weather file for 2011.  I'm not promising anything though, as I've got a lot of others
things to do as well.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.