[Bldg-sim] HELP WANTED: Portfolio Energy Optimization with Rocky Mountain Institute

Michael Gartman mgartman at rmi.org
Thu Aug 29 15:42:47 PDT 2019

Associate / Senior Associate – RMI Portfolio Energy Optimization

SEE THE COMPLETE POSTING AND APPLY HERE: https://rmi.synchr-recruit.com/job/145333/associate-sr-associate-buildings-portfolio-energy-optimization

About RMI

Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of 200+ works tirelessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is a fast growing, independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a 2019-2020 annual budget of $57 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, CA; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.

Position Overview

Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking exceptional candidates to fill an Associate or Senior Associate position within our Buildings Program’s Portfolio Energy Optimization initiative. We are seeking candidates with strong backgrounds in energy analytics who are interested in becoming EnergyPlus experts and leveraging computer programming to automate energy simulation and financial analysis.

Successful candidates will become a team member within RMI’s Portfolio Energy Optimization initiative, which is creating a disruptive and scalable approach to commercial building retrofits that have been left behind by the traditional retrofit approach. A primary focus of the initiative is developing a software tool that enables building owners to identify and compare all available energy investments for their properties on an ongoing basis. To this end, we have leveraged tools such as EnergyPlus and Params/Modelkit (along with a host of custom applications) to develop a mass-customized tool capable of evaluating a spectrum of energy projects across a range of building use types. Learn more about our work here: https://rmi.org/our-work/buildings/commercial-portfolio-energy-optimization/

While Associates and Senior Associates at RMI are expected to be generalists capable of contributing to a variety of project teams, this position is dedicated to the Portfolio Energy Optimization team. Applicants with experience relevant to that work will be prioritized. To apply to a generalist position within RMI’s Buildings Program, see here: https://rmi.synchr-recruit.com/job/129917/associate-sr-associate-buildings-program

Roles and Responsibilities

The primary responsibilities for this position will include:

Tool Development:

  *   Continued development of Ruby code to automatically generate EnergyPlus input files to evaluate an expanding set of energy and water projects.
  *   Populate databases with common building attributes and project-specific attributes to facilitate mass customization.
  *   Help build new functionality into the tool such as automated quality control procedures, automated reporting, and statistical analysis.

Project Execution:

  *   Act as primary point of contact for clients when executing pilot projects.
  *   Project management – manage tasks, budget, and team members associated with executing pilot projects.
  *   Collect data and leverage the PEO tool to identify and evaluate the financial viability of projects for pilot project building(s).
  *   Author and present results summaries to clients.
  *   Support RMI efforts to demonstrate, replicate and communicate the success of projects to industry and donor audiences.

Qualifications

Required Experience:

  *   A graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in a field related to the built environment.
  *   2+ years of work experience for the Associate level, and 4+ years of experience for the Senior Associate level.
  *   Expertise in energy simulation, especially EnergyPlus. Experience modeling existing buildings preferred.

Desired Experience:

  *   Field experience:  Hands-on experience evaluating HVAC and controls via commissioning, retro-commissioning, or energy auditing
  *   Design experience: Background developing HVAC designs and specifications for an MEP firm or similar
  *   Expertise in computer programming, especially Ruby or C#
  *   EIT or licensed PE designation
  *   ASHRAE BEMP
  *   AEE Certified Energy Manager

General:

  *   Excellent quantitative analysis and modeling skills; ability to convert raw data into insights.
  *   Ability to multitask and manage multiple work streams.
  *   Excellent writing skills, visual presentation capability, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
  *   Comfort working with ambiguity.
  *   High emotional intelligence, curiosity, and a desire to work collaboratively.
  *   A passion for advancing market-based solutions to climate change.

Benefits

RMI offers a comprehensive benefits package including:

  *   Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
  *   403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
  *   Life, AD&D, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
  *   Commuter and Wellness Benefits
  *   Casual Work Environment
  *   Appreciation of Work-Life Balance

Diversity

Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities that we serve. Achieving this diversity—whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability—is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:

  *   Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
  *   Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
  *   Are able to secure the talent that we need with access to the full talent pool
  *   Are able to relate to decision makers within diverse communities

Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.

RMI is an equal opportunity employer

Location: Boulder, CO or Basalt, CO.

[Rocky Mountain Institute]<https://www.rmi.org/>
Michael Gartman
Senior Associate
M +1 858.220.3517

2490 Junction Place | Suite 200 | Boulder, CO | 80301

rmi.org<https://www.rmi.org/> | follow us [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/RockyMtnInst/>  [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/RockyMtnInst>  [LinkedIn] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/rocky-mountain-institute>
Creating a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon energy future