[Bldg-sim] Energy end-use EUI - dormitories?

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Fri Sep 14 06:03:02 PDT 2018

Hi Carl,
Thanks for sharing your ideas!
I am finding very little data for measured plug load energy in dormitories. Total building EUI is available, from Portfolio Manager and other sources, but building EUI doesn’t help for determining plug load energy. I have been contacting campuses (in New York State) and the common response is that plug loads are not submetered in any of the buildings.
I may yet get access to some data but my approach for now is to estimate a range of plug load EUI values (6 to 12 EUI off the top of my head, based on some of my calibrated models and on the low end of the PNNL Prototype Building plug load assumptions) and then model discrete loads and schedules.
There are some drivers/trends to lower student room energy. We are designing rooms with installed ceiling lighting on occupancy sensors rather than having students bring their own lamps. Small appliances are becoming more efficient, and tablets and notebook computers are a common alternative to more power-hungry desktops. Also we’ve done away with CRT TVs and monitors. I am curious as to how much of an enterprise cryptocurrency mining is for the kids these days. The generous number of 20A receptacles we are asked to provide could support quite a computer load. I also doubt that many students are following the step-by-step instructions from EnergyStar for reducing the energy of their gaming consoles<https://www.energystar.gov/products/configuring_todays_game_consoles_use_less_energy_0>.

Best regards,
~Bill