[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE 90.1-2013 Appendix G - Baseline Fuel Source mapping

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Thu Nov 8 10:42:22 PST 2018

All,
I can share one story.   We had a small non-commercial project in CZ7 considering LEED and asking us for recommendation of mechanical system.  Under the old fuel source neutral Appendix G,  we compared a ground source heat pump system to PSZ-HP with electric resistance below ~35F and we compared an AHU with condensing boiler to PSZ-AC with gas burner.   The Appendix G costs savings, including other non-mechanical impacts, were ~55% for GSHP and ~27% for AHU with condensing boilers, yielding a 5 LEED point differential.  Comparing solution to solution, the GSHPs really saved a modest ~9% in energy costs compared to the AHU and condensing boiler and the GHSPs had a larger carbon footprint.
A baseline mechanical system that uses lots of hours in electric resistance heating in a cold climate is a straw man for gauging leading performance because they are so rarely actually built.  I have never been involved in standard development but I assume cases like this were at least part of the motivation.
Regards,

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP BD+C
DUNHAM