[Bldg-sim] reflective ceramic paint

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu May 24 08:48:23 PDT 2018

Hi Leen,
We have discussed reflective paints a couple times in the forums - back in September 2017 here<http://energy-models.com/forum/discourse/general-discussion/experience-modeling-ceramic-insulation-coating> and in more detail in 2011 here<http://energy-models.com/forum/ceramic-insulating-paint-additives#comment-11419>.
I have not used the products. Research and anecdotes question the value of “ceramic insulation” paints. It is doubtful that they impact R-value in any meaningful way. You can try modeling it by varying the absorptance and/or emissivity of the wall, if the product you are considering provides those values.
The main thing to realize is at best, paints can affect radiative heat transfer, but do nothing for conduction, convection or infiltration.
Regards,
~Bill

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer

[Pathfinder-EA-logo-2]T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005
bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>        www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>