[Bldg-sim] Expert advice to show minimum efficiency compliance Table 6.8.1C [1 Attachment]

Nicholas Caton Nicholas.Caton at schneider-electric.com
Wed Mar 7 13:20:11 PST 2018

I think Javed’s situation is most easily explained by mapping out some of our industry’s terminology, as I can see the discussion going in many directions as we reply to each other – If there’s one thing I’ve found consistent between great engineers, it’s probably *not* consistency of terminology (much less, between languages).  With that, I’m certain some regions and individuals will disagree with parts of the following mapping, but hopefully this will help guide the majority:

  *   What cooling medium is piped between the chiller and condenser equipment?
     *   Refrigerant --> “Air-cooled chiller” (in AHRI 550/590 & 90.1 terms)
        *   In the case of air-cooled chillers, the condenser is simply referred to as the condenser.
        *   I have not personally run into commercial/spec-grade refrigerant-circulating condensers that pre-cool the air with sprayers/misting.  I’m aware they exist, but I’m not familiar with how to distinguish this feature… I guess I would call it “evaporative cooling add-on” or “evaporative preconditioning”
        *   This is a 3rd party solution a colleague of mine investigated once, but didn’t make it into the project scope: http://www.evaporcool.com/
     *   Water --> “Water-cooled chiller” (in AHRI 550/590 & 90.1 terms)
        *   This includes water with add-mixtures, like glycol
        *   Is the condenser water loop closed, or exposed to air?
           *   Open Loop --> “Cooling Tower”
           *   Closed Loop --> “Fluid cooler”
              *   Terminology usage grows particularly loose here between different manufacturers and specifiers --> Best to grab a datasheet to confirm what exactly you’re dealing with
              *   Is water sprayed on the fluid cooler’s fins to induce evaporative cooling?
                 *   No --> “Dry cooler” or “Radiator”
                 *   Yes --> “Evaporative Fluid Cooler” or “Indirect Evaporative Cooler” or “Closed Loop Cooling Tower”

With that mapping, I’m inclined to agree that Javed is dealing with a combination of “Dry coolers” and “Evaporative Fluid Coolers,” both of which I’d expect to be paired with water-cooled chillers.  The image below leads me to feel it’s hydronic/water fluid cooling in lieu of refrigerant because:

  1.  The headers on the end (copper color) appear to be equally sized pipes – if it were refrigerant I’d expect one to be narrower
  2.  I don’t see the condensers anywhere… it’s possible they could be remote and I’m wrong however.

I’d still advise Javed to seek out some literature / cutsheets to be certain of what the cooling medium is.  I can’t be 100% certain only looking at the picture.

Hope this helps someone!

~Nick

[cid:image003.png at 01D3B5F8.4E0F2A90]
Nick Caton, P.E., BEMP