[Bldg-sim] **LAST CALL** TRAINING - EnergyPlus and OpenStudio in Salt Lake City (June 18-22)

Aaron Boranian aaron.boranian at bigladdersoftware.com
Tue Jun 12 08:30:10 PDT 2018

*LAST CALL !!! *These workshops begin* NEXT WEEK !*

Big Ladder Software would like to remind everyone that we are leading our
*EnergyPlus* for Practitioners
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/index.html#energyplus-for-practitioners>
, *EnergyPlus* EMS Controls
<https://bigladdersoftware.com/training/#energyplus-ems-controls>,
*OpenStudio* Launch Pad
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/#openstudio-launch-pad>, and Advanced
  <http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/#advanced-openstudio>*OpenStudio
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/#advanced-openstudio>* workshops in
*Salt Lake City**!* These workshops will be held on *June 18 - 22* in
collaboration with *The University of Utah*.

*Register now for Salt Lake City*
<https://energyplus-openstudio-salt-lake-city.eventbrite.com/>

https://energyplus-openstudio-salt-lake-city.eventbrite.com

* <https://energyplus-openstudio-washington-dc.eventbrite.com/>There is
limited space for these workshops so sign-up soon!*

*See our upcoming workshops in Baton Rouge and Chicago
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/>http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/>*

EnergyPlus for Practitioners

*Workshop Description*

- Have you ever wanted to truly understand how to use *EnergyPlus* at the
text level?
- Have you been using *OpenStudio*, *DesignBuilder*, or another GUI and had
the need to peek under the hood to debug a problem or implement a measure
or workaround?

*This workshop should be a prerequisite for anyone planning to work
with EnergyPlus regardless of what user interface you choose.*

In this two-day workshop we focus on the needs of the energy modeling
practitioner in order to get you up to speed and highly productive with
*EnergyPlus* as quickly as possible. We cover the fundamentals of
*EnergyPlus* such as geometry and internal loads while rapidly ramping up
to advanced topics such as HVAC systems and controls. We guide you through
the complexities of the *EnergyPlus* syntax, input/output files,
documentation, and essential software tools including the *OpenStudio* (legacy)
plugin for *SketchUp*. Most importantly, we teach you how to use the
available resources to teach yourself going forward. Demonstrations and
hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout. By the end of the
workshop, you should be comfortable with creating, running, and debugging
*EnergyPlus* models.

EnergyPlus EMS Controls

*Workshop Description*

This one-day workshop covers the Energy Management System (EMS) capability
of *EnergyPlus*, which allows implementation of custom control strategies
and calculation routines that override standard modeling processes within
*EnergyPlus*. We cover the *EnergyPlus* Runtime Language (Erl) that is used
to describe the custom control programs, how to create EMS components
(sensors, actuators, output variables, etc.), and how to debug execution of
EMS programs. Lecture topics include how to create advanced HVAC
control sequences,
how to override default HVAC operation (flow rate, setpoint temperature,
capacity, etc.), how to abort a simulation when operational faults occur,
and how to use outputs to generate trend data. Demonstrations and hands-on
exercises are used extensively throughout.

*Previous experience with EnergyPlus is recommended but not required. *

OpenStudio Launch Pad

*Workshop Description*

This one-day workshop aims to quickly launch you into the world of the
*OpenStudio* graphical user interface for *EnergyPlus*. We cover the major
features and capabilities of the interface including creating and editing
geometry using the full *OpenStudio* plugin for *SketchUp*, managing space
types and internal loads, and configuring HVAC systems and controls. (
*OpenStudio* measure writing is not covered.) Demonstrations and hands-on
exercises are used extensively throughout.

*Previous experience with EnergyPlus is recommended but not required.*

*Advanced OpenStudioWorkshop DescriptionThis one-day workshop
covers advanced modeling topics related to the OpenStudio interface. We
cover how to add custom library data (HVAC, building types, etc.), model
“bulk” air flow (infiltration, ventilation, inter-zone mixing, transfer
air), configure layout and controls for advanced plant systems, use best
practices for debugging energy models, and include thermal bridging effects
in energy models. OpenStudio measure writing is not covered. Demonstrations
and hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout.Previous experience
with EnergyPlus is recommended but not required. *

Regards,
--
Aaron Boranian
808 895-1741