[Bldg-sim] A digital tour of the Internet for weather data in a remote location in the Andes: The Sequel

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Fri Jan 12 06:15:46 PST 2018

I think you should change your name from "Joe" to "Weather Wizard" :)

I'm getting smarter about weather data with every post that you make.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 6:10 AM, Joe Huang via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> People might remember that I posted a somewhat whimsical note on Nov. 29
> about my experiences searching the Weather Underground web site for weather
> data for a remote ski area in the Andes, with the conclusion that I could
> kludge together a working weather file by taking the temperature and
> humidity data from a PWS (Personal Weather Station) at the ski area, the
> wind data from another nearby PWS, and the cloud data from the nearest
> official weather station on the outskirts of Santiago (search the archives
> if you want to read  the details and see the colorful maps).
>
> After hearing no response for more than a month, I  received an e-mail two
> days ago affirming the client needed this weather file. After refreshing my
> memory by reading the old e-mails, I got to work and discovered yet more
> surprises.  (1) The client told me that the actual building site is not at
> this ski area, but another mountainous location on the border with
> Argentina several hundred kilometers  further south!  They mentioned
> Farellones just because of the higher probability of a weather station at
> the ski area (and they were right).  (2) When I searched the Weather
> Underground web site, many of the PWS, including Farellones, had
> disappeared! Luckily, I had the station name from before and found that I
> could still retrieve the data using that station name.
>
> The end result was that after spending 1-2 hours, I was able to construct
> the weather as I had described on Nov. 29. In fact, when I plotted the
> data, as I always do before sending them out, they had a real look of
> veirisimilitude :-)  See below:
>
> My main takeaways from this experience are  (1) if you find useful data
> from Weather Underground, download it promptly because it might go away at
> any time, but (2) if a station disappears from the Wundermap the data might
> still be on the Web and retrievable.
>
> Joe
>

> --
> Joe Huang
> White Box Technologies, Inc.
> 346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A
> Moraga CA 94556yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.comhttp://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com for simulation-ready weather data
> (o) (925)388-0265 <(925)%20388-0265>
> (c) (510)928-2683 <(510)%20928-2683>
> "building energy simulations at your fingertips"

James V Dirkes II, CEO / President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, Grand Rapids, MI 49504

(alphabet soup of efforts for greater understanding: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED
AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*My opinion and experience:
The gospel of Jesus is without doubt the most beautiful world view on
our planet.