[Bldg-sim] Weather file for remote location

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Mon Apr 9 19:38:45 PDT 2018

My recommendation is to use actual recorded weather data whenever possible.  Even if the
recorded data is not at the desired site, that would be preferred to reanalysis data if
the recorded data are within 1 degree latitude and longitude.  Why?  Because reanalysis
data, which is what Weather Analytics provides (or used to provide, as the case may be),
are computer generated weather data running  a Climate Forecasting Model in retrospective
mode* that has a 1/2 degree grid. In other words, leaving aside the question how well do
reanalysis data match measured data (and the samples I've seen can be all over the
map...), even if the match is perfect there's still the uncertainty of a grid value versus
a site-specific value.

Looking through the measured weather data available to me, there is a station in Tororo
(UGA_TORORO_636840) located 43 kilometers directly south of Mbale that has 10 years of
recorded data (2005-2012, 2016-17 ). Data in some of the years are shaky, but there's
enough to make a decent "typical year" weather file. Since I now also have
satellite-derived solar for all of Africa Feb. 2004 to date, that eliminates solar
radiation as the biggest technical concern about weather files.  This means the resultant
weather file for Tororo will be quite reliable, with no need to interpolate from other
stations or rely on reanalysis data.

Please e-mail me for more details.

Joe

Joe Huang