[Bldg-sim] Getting an accurate plug load estimate

Jim Dirkes via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Sep 6 07:01:25 PDT 2017

Great (and funny) example, Bill, of digging into the actual operations of a
client. How can a model hope to "model" real operations if it's not
informed well by the client and implemented by the modeler?

It's also a good example of how, even with the best available information,
a model can fail to reflect actual operations.

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Bishop, Bill via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> We asked the faculty of a new lab to list their likely plug loads…
>
> “The lights are for heat. We use them intermittently to extract aquatic
> parasites from snails. The heat from the light causes the parasite to swim
> out of the snail into the water. It was a bit challenging to estimate the
> usage of these lights because it depends on how successful we are at
> finding parasites.”
>

> Regards,
>
> ~Bill
>

> *William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP **|** Pathfinder Engineers
> & Architects LLP*
>
> *Senior Energy Engineer*
>

> 134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608
>
> *T: (585) 698-1956 <(585)%20698-1956>*                        F: (585)
> 325-6005
>
> bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com <wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>
> www.pathfinder-ea.com
>
> [image: http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon
> Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.

James V Dirkes II, CEO / President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, MI 49504

(alphabet soup of efforts for greater understanding: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED
AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*Does “freedom” mean being uncommitted? If that's
so, it means we have no wider vision than our own personal agenda and
comfort. Only when we give up the freedom to do whatever we selfishly
want all the time, do we discover a greater freedom: The freedom to
love. Love can be considered a sort of “slavery”, a voluntary giving
up of self for another, that makes the world better and stronger for
this generation and the next.