[Bldg-sim] measurement of SHGC in the field

D. Charlie Curcija dccurcija at lbl.gov
Mon Nov 13 11:42:25 PST 2017

Please note that SHGC is not equal to solar transmittance. Even if you
would be able to make perfect Tsol measurement in the filed, that could be
way off in predicting SHGC. This is because, SHGC consists of two parts,
one is Tsol (directly transmitted solar radiation and the other is inward
flowing fraction of absorbed solar energy in the window. For the most part
inward flowing fraction is NOT small and it depends on the glazing and
framing configuration. In its extreme, single glazed tinted glass would
have SHGC more than twice than Tsol and often triple Tsol.

Charlie

*1 Cyclotron Rd., MS 90-3111                   Email: dccurcija at lbl.gov