[Bldg-sim] eQuest - Energy consumption increasing on reducing Glass U-Value

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri Nov 3 13:42:26 PDT 2017

 From my experience, such kinds of counter-intuitive results, e.g.,
cooling energies going up with lower U-values,  are due to overlooked
systems/loads interactions rather than arcane loads considerations such
as spectral properties of window glazings.

The three interactions that I would look are:

(1) does the system have an economizer that vents the cooling loads when
the indoor temperature or enthalpy exceed that outdoor ?

(2) is the system sizing the same for both runs? If not, fix the system
size to the larger from the two autosized runs.

(3) (this gets rather arcane but explained the anomaly for increased
heating in mild cooling climates like the Pacific Northwest) change
Cooling Control from CONSTANT to WARMEST, i.e., control cooling control
for the warmest zone rather than all zones.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A