[Bldg-sim] NZEB Plug Load Consumption

Kjell Anderson via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue May 2 13:05:39 PDT 2017

Ben,
For a project that LMN designed (Stone34 in Seattle), the team measured
existing plug loads at the tenant's previous space to inform the expected
use in the new space. I believe this has been done on other projects (such
as the West Berkeley Library) and forms a good baseline for a schedule. The
lease for Stone34 was set up with a cap in part based on the existing
measurements.
-Kjell

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Ben Hollon via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> I am reviewing a lease for a client interested in leasing tenant space in
> a net zero building and the lease puts a cap on monthly plug load
> consumption, rather than a typical W/SF allowance. I have never seen this
> and am trying to figure out if there’s a way to model this. A standard
> model would take a W/SF and multiply it out hour by hour based on a
> schedule, but obviously the schedule is a guess and can’t handle the
> nuances of computers turning on and off, accurate weekend predictions etc.
>

> I may be asking for the impossible but didn’t know if anyone had seen this
> or had any thoughts of how to accurately (ish) predict the monthly power
> consumption of plug loads.
>

> Thanks!
>

> *Ben Hollon, P.E., LEED AP, MBA*
>
> *Lankford *|* Fendler* *+ associates*
>
> Kansas City | St. Joseph | Overland Park
>
> O. 816.221.1411 <(816)%20221-1411> | *www.lankfordfendler.com
> <http://www.lankfordfendler.com/>* |  Facebook
> <http://www.facebook.com/lankfordassoc>
>

> *sustainable | creative | innovative*
>

> *GENERAL DISCLAIMER*: Files attached to this transmittal are sole
> property of the Engineer.  Because files can be modified during
> translation, the Engineer is not responsible for the accuracy of the
> information.  Any other use of these materials is solely the responsibility
> of the user.
>
> *CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: Privileged and confidential communication.  If
> you are not the addressee, you may not read, copy, or distribute this
> email. If you receive this email in error, please advise us by return email
> and call. Thank you.

Kjell Anderson