[Bldg-sim] TRAINING - Last Call for EnergyPlus and OpenStudio Workshops at Building Simulation 2017

Aaron Boranian via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Jul 27 09:02:09 PDT 2017

*LAST CALL !!! These training workshops begin in ONE WEEK !!!*

Big Ladder Software is leading three training workshops in conjunction
with *Building
Simulation 2017* in *San Francisco*. These workshops are *EnergyPlus* for
Practitioners
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/index.html#energyplus-for-practitioners>
, *OpenStudio* Launch Pad
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/index.html#openstudio-launch-pad>,
and *OpenStudio* Measure Writing
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/index.html#openstudio-measure-writing>,
which take place both before and after the conference in August. These are
public workshops, meaning that you can register for them even if you aren't
attending the conference!

*Register now for Building Simulation 2017*
<http://www.buildingsimulation2017.org/register/>
http://www.buildingsimulation2017.org/register/

To review information for each workshop, please see:
- *EnergyPlus* for Practitioners
<http://www.buildingsimulation2017.org/workshops.html#WK-PEC01> (August 5 -
6)
- *OpenStudio* Launch Pad
<http://www.buildingsimulation2017.org/workshops.html#WK-PEC10> (August 10)
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/index.html#openstudio-launch-pad>-
*OpenStudio* Measure Writing
<http://www.buildingsimulation2017.org/workshops.html#WK-PEC13> (August 11)

There is limited space for these workshops so sign-up soon!

EnergyPlus for Practitioners

*Workshop Description*

- Have you ever wanted to truly understand how to use *EnergyPlus* at the
text level?
- Have you been using *OpenStudio*, *DesignBuilder*, or another GUI and had
the need to peek under the hood to debug a problem or implement a measure
or workaround?

*This workshop should be a prerequisite for anyone planning to work
with EnergyPlus regardless of what user interface you choose.*

In this two-day workshop we focus on the needs of the energy modeling
practitioner in order to get you up to speed and highly productive with
*EnergyPlus* as quickly as possible. We cover the fundamentals of
*EnergyPlus* such as geometry and internal loads while rapidly ramping up
to advanced topics such as HVAC systems and controls. We guide you through
the complexities of the *EnergyPlus* syntax, input/output files,
documentation, and essential software tools including the *OpenStudio* (legacy)
plugin for *SketchUp*. Most importantly, we teach you how to use the
available resources to teach yourself going forward. Demonstrations and
hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout. By the end of the
workshop, you should be comfortable with creating, running, and debugging
*EnergyPlus* models.

OpenStudio Launch Pad

*Workshop Description*

This one-day workshop aims to quickly launch you into the world of the
*OpenStudio* graphical user interface for *EnergyPlus*. We cover the major
features and capabilities of the interface including creating and editing
geometry using the full *OpenStudio* plugin for *SketchUp*, managing space
types and internal loads, and configuring HVAC systems and controls. (
*OpenStudio* measure writing is not covered.) Demonstrations and hands-on
exercises are used extensively throughout.

*Previous experience with EnergyPlus is recommended but not required. **You
are welcome to register for this workshop separately from the EnergyPlus
for Practitioners workshop.*

OpenStudio Measure Writing

*Workshop Description*

This one-day workshop focuses on teaching you how to write your own measures
 for *OpenStudio*’s powerful scripting and automation framework. We cover
the essentials of the *OpenStudio* API, the Ruby programming language, and
the *OpenStudio Software Development Kit* documentation. We explore all
three categories of measures: *OpenStudio*, *EnergyPlus*, and Reporting. We
will also show how to use a measure to automatically generate a baseline
building model for ASHRAE Standard 90.1 compliance. Demonstrations and
hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout.

*Previous Ruby scripting experience is not required. You are welcome to
register for this workshop separately from the OpenStudio Launch
Pad workshop.*

Regards,

--
Aaron Boranian