[Bldg-sim] Indemnity Clause?

Jim Dirkes via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Jul 14 11:40:40 PDT 2017

On the one hand, all of my proposals include a disclaimer intended to make
the client aware of energy model limitations. The clients are not normally
experts in modeling and it's not reasonable to expect they'd know what a
model can and can't do. I want to increase their understanding in advance
of the work.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if anyone has been crazy enough to
litigate a situation where actual results and modeled results differ. Just
for starters, once you construct and begin operating a building, almost
every assumption made by the modeler is immediately, and often greatly,
different. How can anyone expect a close match?

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Dan Nall via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> This is a very important issue, especially since some jurisdictions,
> including New York City, are looking at regulation of energy use, rather
> than regulation of calculated energy use.  Liability arises if the energy
> modeling results indicate compliance with the code, and later operating
> experience reveals a non-compliant building.  ACEC New York City Energy
> Code Committee is contemplating responses to this dilemma.
>
> Have been using disclaimers as one of the first pages of an energy
> modeling report since the early 1980's.  .

James V Dirkes II, CEO / President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, MI 49504

(alphabet soup of efforts for excellence: PE, BEMP, BCxP, LEED AP)

Direct / Mobile: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

*Coffee conversation:*They love truth when it enlightens them, they
hate  truth when it accuses them… They love truth when it reveals
itself, and hate it when it reveals them*.*

.