[Bldg-sim] ASHRAE/IES Publish 90.1-2016 Energy Efficiency Standard

Jim Dirkes via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Oct 31 07:42:20 PDT 2016

Thanks, Jason.
Eventually, I'll read the Standard in detail. For now the summary is very
helpful.

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Jason Glazer via Bldg-sim <
bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org> wrote:

> *ASHRAE/IES Publish 2016 Energy Efficiency Standard*
>
> ATLANTA – Numerous energy savings measures resulting from industry input
> are contained in the newly published energy efficiency standard from ASHRAE
> and IES.
>
> ANSI/ASHRAE/IES Standard 90.1-2016, *Energy Efficiency Standard for
> Buildings Except Low-Rise Residential Buildings*, contains 125 addenda
> published since the 2013 standard. The 2013 standard currently serves as
> the commercial building reference standard for state building energy codes.
>
> This 2016 version is the 10th edition published since the original
> standard was first published in 1975 during the energy crisis of the United
> States.
>
> "It is the overall goal of each version to create a consensus standard
> that saves energy and is technically feasible and cost effective,” Drake
> Erbe, chair of the Standard 90.1 committee, said. “In addition, as a result
> of a strategic initiative begun in the 2013 cycle, the 2016 version has a
> new format that we believe will be easier for users, a new way of
> incorporation of reference material from other standards starting with
> climate data, and a performance path for compliance that rewards designs
> for achieving energy cost levels above the standard minimum.”
>
> *Formatting*
>
> The standard has made significant formatting changes to improve its use.
> These include a one-column format for easier reading; exceptions separated
> and indented, set apart with a smaller font size; all defined terms are
> italicized; and alternating coloring scheme for table rows.
>
> The most significant technical changes included are as follows:
>
>    - *Building Envelope*:
>       - The mandatory provisions include the addition of envelope
>       verification in support of reduced air infiltration and increased
>       requirements for air leakage to overhead coiling doors.
>       - The prescriptive requirements include increased stringency
>       requirements for metal building roofs and walls, fenestration, and opaque
>       doors.  Requirements for Climate Zone 0 have been added.
>       - Improved clarity of the standard ranged from defining exterior
>       walls to building orientation to clarity around the effective R-value of
>       air spaces
>    - *Lighting:*
>       - Modified control requirements that make the application of
>       advanced lighting controls easier for increased energy savings
>       - Modification of exterior and interior lighting power densities
>       that reflect the efficiency gains from LED technology in specific
>       applications where they are proven to be effective
>       - Added minimum requirements for lighting in dwelling units to set
>       limits on light source efficacy
>       - Added additional control for lighting in parking areas based on
>       occupancy to reduce energy use
>    - *Mechanical:*
>       - Chilled water plant metering – For the first time, the standard
> [...]

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
CEO/President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, Mi 49504

Direct: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteam.com>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413> | May 2016 ASHRAE
Journal article on energy modeling
<http://buildingperformanceteam.com/bpt-insights-blog/item/73-modeled-performance-isn-t-actual-performance>

…an open mind is not an end in itself but rather is like an open
mouth, designed to bite down on something solid and nourishing.