[Bldg-sim] Weather Station recommendations

Joe Huang via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Fri Nov 11 11:58:31 PST 2016

There are now many companies that sell automated weather stations that can hook up with
the Internet for a few hundred dollars on up to well over a thousand dollars.   This is
not a commercial endorsement but only a notice of what I know - take a look at the
WeatherUnderground web site (www.wunderground/weatherstation/overview.asp) that claims to
have over 200,000 connected PWS (Personal Weather Stations).  They will help you to
calibrate your weather station and then hook it up to their network. There's also a Buying
Guide describing automated weather stations from various vendors.  The only damper I would
put on your wish list is that few if any of these products measure solar radiation.  There
is a company (Li-Cor) that make inexpensive solar sensors but only for global solar
radiation, so you would still have to figure out/model the direct/diffuse split.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A