[Bldg-sim] LEED v3 CS ACP calculator penalizing existing buildings?

James Hansen via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Jun 8 14:47:21 PDT 2016

Sorry to post a LEED-related question, but I thought someone might have run into this in the past for EAp2 modeling using the developer control alternative compliance path calculator.

I posted this same question on LEEDUSER but thought I'd get more responses from the modeling community here!

I've done a number of Core and Shell models before, and always use the ACP calculator.  However, something that I've noticed before but never understood is why the Revised Point threshold column is a single column and NOT separate revised thresholds for New and Existing.  As an example:  In a current project, I have a developer control percentage of 47%.  It says that any savings over 13.8% gets you 6 pts (see chart below).  This is a nice drop from the 18% required for a non-ACP path to get 6 pts for new construction projects.  However, the non-ACP path for 6pts requires a renovation project to have 14%.  In other words, the ACP only lowers the 6 pt threshold from 14% to 13.8% for renovations.  Why does this happen?  Is it just something you have to live with for renovations?  Or is there a way you can pro-rate this to be valid for existing building renovations?  Thanks!

Enter the Percent of Energy Cost Influenced or Directly Controlled by CS Owner/Developer:

47.0%

Standard Compliance Path
Savings as a Percent of Core & Shell Building Load

Alternative Compliance Path - Revised Point thresholds based on Percent of Energy Cost influenced by Developer and Percent New Construction versus Major Renovation

Points

New

Renovation

Prereq

10.0%

5.0%

6.3%

3

12.0%

8.0%

10.0%

4

14.0%

10.0%

11.3%

5

16.0%

12.0%

12.5%

6

18.0%

14.0%

13.8%

7

20.0%

16.0%

15.0%

8

22.0%

18.0%

16.3%

9

24.0%

20.0%

17.5%

10

26.0%

22.0%

18.8%

11

28.0%

24.0%

20.1%

12

30.0%

26.0%

21.3%

13

32.0%

28.0%

22.6%

14

34.0%

30.0%

23.8%

15

36.0%

32.0%

25.1%

16

38.0%

34.0%

26.3%

17

40.0%

36.0%

27.6%

18

42.0%

38.0%

28.8%

19

44.0%

40.0%

30.1%

20

46.0%

42.0%

31.3%

21

48.0%

44.0%

32.6%

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP, BEMP
Principal
1110 N. Glebe Road, Suite 300
Arlington, VA 22201
703.338.5754 (direct/cell)

The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of GHT Limited. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return e-mail or by e-mail to ght at ghtltd.com, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments. Thank you.