[Bldg-sim] Life Cycle Design Analysis with eTools

arpan.bakshi at performance.network arpan.bakshi at performance.network
Thu Feb 18 03:24:03 PST 2016

[cid:b49a3133-3f67-4447-878c-7f819c327417]

I recently learned about a life cycle design and analysis tool helpful to the simulation community, especially as this topic is now a part of LEED v4 and this becomes a new consulting opportunity for modelers.

I interviewed Pat Hermon, life cycle design engineer and business development director at eTool to learn more about how life cycle design (LCD) works in the UK and specifically about the LCD technology his company developed.

AB
In the LEED world, life cycle cost analysis (LCCA) is common but life cycle assessment (LCA) is a new concept in v4. Please explain to our audience how they are they different?

PH
Everything that happens on the planet has an impact. We concern ourselves with the economic, social and environmental impacts in varying degrees throughout our day-to-day lives. LEED is concerned with the impacts of our built environment. As part of LEED credit is given for Life Cycle Cost Assessment which quantifies the economic impact of a project through its life cycle, measured in the local currency. Similarly credit is given for Life Cycle Assessment which quantifies a range of environmental impacts throughout the life cycle - cradle-to-cradle. There is a broad range of environmental impacts that can be measured, LEED requires quantification of GHG emissions (kgCO2e) ozone depletion (kgCFC11e), acidification (kgSO2), eutrophication (kgPO4), tropospheric ozone formation (kgC2H4) and depletion of fossil fuels (MJ). Both LCCA and LCA provide the analysis to make the most informed design decisions but are only effective when incorporated into the design process. At eTool we prefer the phrase Life Cycle Design (LCD) to LCA to reflect the positive changes and improved performance that can be achieved when used as a design tool.

AB
Your extensive experience with LCA and UK leadership in the subject can help coach LEED professionals as they start to learn about it. How is LCA applied in UK projects?

PH
Traditionally LCA was a tool left to PHD candidates with a lot of time and motivation for their subject. However, using the databases, methodologies and tools that are now well established, LCA is fast becoming a mainstream design tool in the construction industry. At eTool we have been involved in a broad range of projects ranging from single dwellings and large office blocks, to stadiums and hospitals. We have developed the software so that it can be viably applied to any project at any stage of the design.

AB
Your experience with LCA eventually led to the development of a LCA tool. What does the tool do and how is it intended to be used?

PH
Actually it is almost the other way around! The development of the tool has led to our experience and knowledge growth in LCA. In fact when eTool was first conceived 6 years ago we had not heard of LCA, we were simply applying first principles to carbon footprinting calculations and later realised that we were doing LCAs. Originally a spreadsheet, we quickly found that it was not up to the job and started building the software which is now web-based. The core functionality of the tool surrounds modelling a buildings life-cycle impacts and our primary mission at eTool is to have LCA accessible to all. We have a unique "open-use for noncommercial gain" business model which means anyone with a little bit of construction knowledge can register online and start running their own LCAs and make better buildings. You do not require BIM experience or weeks of training and because it is designed to be used at any stage of a projects design, you can begin to make Life Cycle Design decisions from the early concept stages, knocking up a rough and ready model in as little as 5 minutes.

AB
Finally, who should attend your webinar presentation on February 25th--which audiences can really benefit?

PH
Anyone involved in the construction industry would benefit from further consideration of LCA principles. Our current users and clients include sustainability consultants, architects, builders and developers who have a mix of motivations. LEED and Breeam professionals have the carrot of extra points, perhaps there is some other legislative/planning requirement for LCA, someone may see the marketing value of promoting design excellence or perhaps they are just genuinely concerned about the impact that the building is having on the planet.

AB
Thank you Pat for taking the time to share your knowledge, I am looking forward to your webinar.

Pat will present on life cycle design and eTool in a webinar on February 25th.
Register here<https://attendee.gototraining.com/r/1196022733012068865>.