[Bldg-sim] small heatpump product for service hot water & cooling

joe breskin via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Aug 3 11:42:21 PDT 2016

I have been working on this problem for the past 4 years and have one built
one commercial-scale working prototype so far, that is cooling a 20' cold
storage box and a heating 3,000 sf heated soil greenhouse on a truck-farm
in Port Townsend with a single 24,000 BTU heat pump that I made from the
guts of a window mount air conditioner unit running on R-410a. I have 1000
gallons of storage in the circulation water system and millions of BTUs
stored in 4000 cubic feet of heated soil above the insulation.

Welded plate heat stainless steel exchangers suitable for the high working
pressures of R-410a systems are finally becoming available, which should
dramatically simplify the construction of my next system.

Joe Breskin