[Bldg-sim] No Windows ... LEED Platinum?

Nicholas Caton via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Apr 25 09:36:19 PDT 2016

Can anyone share knowledge of a project which received LEED-Gold or
LEED-Platinum certification which featured NO fenestration or skylights?

My gut tells me this would generally be difficult for a few reasons:

1.       No possibility for daylighting & views credits

2.       No opportunity to earn energy optimization credits with interior
daylight reduction controls

3.       No opportunity to earn energy optimization credits for
permanent/automated fenestration shading measures

4.       An energy optimization credit “opportunity loss” in the form of
zero solar loads (cooling) or conductive loads (heating/cooling) from
fenestration.  Such a reduction in space conditioning loads would cripple
the ability for “quality” HVAC design/equipment to outshine the
prescriptive minimums handling those loads…

I’m asking specifically for a LEEDv4-BD+C project in Climate Zone 1B (very
hot + dry, desert climate), but any shared experience or evidence of
window-less LEED projects would be very welcome!

Kind regards,

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*