[Bldg-sim] Appendix G Window to wall ratio

k bk via Bldg-sim bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Thu Apr 14 15:17:29 PDT 2016

Appendix G (LEED) indicates that when we calculate the window to wall ratio
only the above grade walls shall be included.

We have a building design where the conditioned basement wall partially
protrudes above ground and also has windows that let in sunlight. It is
unclear if in this circumstance we could count the whole wall in the window
to wall ratio. Any body have any hints.

Surprisingly, this definition of below grade wall appears to apply only to
appendix G & LEED. As per the user manual to 90.1 the below grade wall can
be included towards the window to wall ratio, for the prescriptive path and
chapter 11.

Frankly speaking, it is unfortunate that Appendix G & LEED, Would
discourage the construction of below grade conditioned spaces in this
manner. In essence aren't we increasing the efficiency of the building if
we put conditioned spaces below grade.