[Bldg-sim] TRAINING - OpenStudio and EnergyPlus workshops reminder!

Peter Ellis peter.ellis at bigladdersoftware.com
Wed Apr 6 08:57:16 PDT 2016

Just a reminder that Big Ladder Software is offering several upcoming
training workshops for OpenStudio and EnergyPlus.

*The next workshop runs from May 16-18 in Boise at the **University of
Idaho, Integrated Design Laboratory!*

We are also introducing a brand new workshop called *OpenStudio Launch Pad*!

See all upcoming workshops for EnergyPlus and OpenStudio
<http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/>

http://bigladdersoftware.com/training/

OpenStudio Launch Pad

*May 18, 2016Boise, ID at University of Idaho, Integrated Design Laboratory*
Details and registration <http://energyplus-boise.eventbrite.com/> (Also
register for *EnergyPlus for Practitioners *on May 16-17!)

*Workshop Description*

This one-day workshop aims to quickly launch you into the world of the
*OpenStudio* graphical user interface for *EnergyPlus*. We cover the major
features and capabilities of the interface including creating and editing
geometry using the full *OpenStudio* plugin for *SketchUp*, managing space
types and internal loads, and configuring HVAC systems and controls. (
*OpenStudio* measure writing is not covered.) Demonstrations and hands-on
exercises are used extensively throughout. Previous experience with
*EnergyPlus* is recommended but not required.

EnergyPlus for Practitioners

*May 16-17, 2016Boise, ID at University of Idaho, Integrated Design
Laboratory*
Details and registration <http://energyplus-boise.eventbrite.com/> (Also
register for *OpenStudio Launch Pad* on May 18!)

*June 6-7, 2016*
*San Francisco, CA at PG&E Pacific Energy Center*
Details and registration <http://energyplus-san-francisco.eventbrite.com/>

*August 8-9, 2016*
*Salt Lake City, UT at SimBuild/ASHRAE conference*
Details and registration (via ASHRAE)
<https://ashrae.org/membership--conferences/conferences/ashrae-conferences/ashrae-and-ibpsa-usa-simbuild-2016-building-performance-modeling-conference#reg>

*Workshop Description*

- Have you ever wanted to truly understand how to use *EnergyPlus* at the
text level?
- Have you been using *OpenStudio*, *DesignBuilder*, or another GUI and had
the need to peek under the hood to debug a problem or implement a measure
or workaround?

*This workshop should be a prerequisite for anyone planning to work with
EnergyPlus regardless of what user interface you choose.*

In this two-day workshop we focus on the needs of the energy modeling
practitioner in order to get you up to speed and highly productive with
*EnergyPlus* as quickly as possible. We cover the fundamentals of
*EnergyPlus* such as geometry and internal loads while rapidly ramping up
to advanced topics such as HVAC systems and controls. We guide you through
the complexities of the *EnergyPlus* syntax, input/output files,
documentation, and essential software tools including the *OpenStudio*
(legacy) plugin for *SketchUp*. Most importantly, we teach you how to use
the available resources to teach yourself going forward. Demonstrations and
hands-on exercises are used extensively throughout. By the end of the
workshop, you should be comfortable with creating, running, and debugging
*EnergyPlus* models.