[Bldg-sim] 100 simulations

Dan Johnson dan at designandenergy.com
Mon Sep 14 11:14:03 PDT 2015

I noticed that the EnergyPlus Example File Generator (
http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/cfm/inputs/index.cfm#form_generator),
in the "detailed" mode, includes a section on Building Geometry. This
includes building shape, zone layout, and number of floors.

Can this be automated, so that instead of the designer choosing a layout
blindly, the Generator runs *all* the possible layout configurations and
returns the results? Prescriptive defaults for building systems would be
fixed since we're primarily interested in form. This would be a starting
place for automating the optimization of form, in the concept design phase,
as we do for parametric optimization of components in the design
development phase. Dan J

(6 shapes) x (9 aspect ratios each) x (3 zoning concepts each) x (3
conditioning strategies each) = only 486 simulations. Take the 20 best
performers, and the architect still has broad creative freedom within the
set, but is guaranteed a better performance outcome than starting blindly.
:-)

Dan Johnson | Design and Energy | 510.325.5672
Assoc. AIA, ASHRAE, LEED AP, CEPE, CPHC | 907 Ramona Ave. Albany California
94706