[Bldg-sim] deriving shorter timestep data from monthly or annual

Jeff Haberl jhaberl at tamu.edu
Tue Sep 1 07:12:19 PDT 2015

Hello Chris,

I guess I misread your question. Let me try again.

Based on your original posting, I believe that you want to take monthly data and "break it down" into its components: weather dependent and weather-independent loads, as well as other useful "insights" provided by a regression analysis. Also, you were hoping to get insight into daily or hourly use from monthly use. In general, ASHRAE IMT is highly recommended for analyzing weather dependent energy use data.

As far as I know the original reference on this can be found in Robert Sonderegger's PhD thesis at Princeton in the later 1970s where he developed equivalent thermal parameters from the regressions he performed. Following this was the PRISM work performed in the 1980s at Princeton, which was first summarized and published in the 1986 Energy and Buildings volume edited by Margaret Fels. In this volume  are several articles that show the "lumped" properties of the three parameters contained in the PRISM model.

If you use these parameters over time, and normalize them to your favorite variable, you can begin to develop insight into what's wrong with a building compared to similar buildings. In a sense this was the basis for the 1986 expert system thesis that I developed at the University of Colorado, although I used a multi-parameter regression (i.e., Lotus) versus PRISM.

More recently, Professor Kelly Kissock at the University of Dayton has published much about the use of the parameters from PRISM or from a 3P or 4P change-point regression (i.e., ASHRAE's IMT, RP1050), to perform a "virtual audit", or preliminary assessment of a residence before the auditor sets foot at the sight. His work includes both residential and industrial applications.

This concept was carried one step further by Dr. Kee Han Kim (thesis available at the ESL), who successfully demonstrated that the parameters from a 3P regression can be used to diagnose problems with single-family residences in Texas using only monthly utility bills and few other tidbits of information (i.e., year built, conditioned area, # of floors), in combination with simulation that is calibrated to the utility bills using the IMT and a set of rules.

Finally, a recent study by Paulus and Claridge has provided additional insight into an automated classification system for temperature-dependent model selection.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D.,P.E.inactive,FASHRAE,FIBPSA,......jhaberl at tamu.edu<mailto:........jhaberl at tamu.edu>
Department of Architecture............................................Lab Ph:979-845-6065
Energy Systems Laboratory...........................................FAX: 979-862-2457
College Station, Texas, USA, 77843.............................http://esl.tamu.edu