[Bldg-sim] How to determine Design day

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Oct 18 23:30:59 PDT 2015

Mayank,

The EnergyPlus Weather Converter does not calculate a DDY file, but just looks through a
file of design day data from the ASHRAE 2013 Handbook of Fundamentals. If it finds a match
in the Station WMO number, it will print the data from the HOF in the EnergyPlus IDF
format as a DDY file;  if not, it will return a blank DDY file as in your situation.

The procedure used by ASHRAE to calculate design day conditions is explained in the ASHRAE
Handbook of Fundamentals, but you will need a time series of at least 8 years, and
preferably 12 years or more of  historical weather data.  Please note that when I generate
typical-year weather files, such as the IWEC2 for ASHRAE or the 61 Indian weather files
for ISHRAE, at the same time I also calculate the design day conditions following the
ASHRAE procedure, and print out the DDY files.  If you tell me the location of your
weather file, I can see what I have that's closest in my data base of DDY files.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A