[Bldg-sim] Approx estimation of solar split from global?

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun May 31 21:04:58 PDT 2015

(reposted with corrections and  omitting Zhang et al. 2004 paper that was too big)

I think what you're asking about is a Solar Model that splits the irradiation into direct
and diffuse components.  There are a number of these models, and a good person to ask is
right in your back yard  - Spencer Dutton, who wrote a paper, "The assessment of the
accuracy of diffuse irradiation models and their potential impact on building simulation",
Dutton and Shao, Proc eSim 2008 Conference, Quebec.

In the US, many people have used the Perez-Ineichen Model (Perez et al. 1990, "Modeling
daylight availability and irradiance compoents from direct and global irradiance", Solar
Energy, 44(5), pp. 271-289), although I have been troubled by the discontinuities that I
saw in the direct normal, and eventually moved to a much simpler model that uses a
Gompertz Function (Zhang et al. 2004. "A new method to separate horizontal solar radiation
into direct and diffuse components", Proceedings, ISESAP 2004).

All of these direct/diffuse split models are based primarily on the ratio of the global to
the extraterrestrial horizontal, i.e., when the ratio (Kbar) goes down, the diffuse
fraction goes up.  What I like about the Gompertz Function model is that it's simple and
direct (no pun intended), and just fits this relationship with a sigmoid function shaped
like a slanted half-S, and can be coded up in 20 lines or so. I've attached a Fortran
version coded up by a student with whom I was working at the time.

In fact, the most difficult part to implementing this simple model is that  you would
still need to know the solar angle (COSZAV), which requires calculating the "Equation of
Time", unless you can strip that from an EnergyPlus or DOE-2 output.

If you're not interested in doing any coding, you could try using the Weather.exe program
that comes with EnergyPlus.  There, if you feed the input weather containing only the
global horizontal and no other radiation data, the program will use the Perez-Ineichen
Model to output the direct and diffuse components.  However, you should quality-check the
results, since I've been asked several times over the years to look at outputs that didn't
look and weren't right. Lastly, all US simulation programs assume that the solar is the
aggregate over the previous time step,  not the average rate around the current time step,
as is the convention in Europe and the UK.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A