[Bldg-sim] Swimming pool lighting with 90.1

Cam Fitzgerald fitzgerald at sevengroup.com
Thu Jun 4 09:30:36 PDT 2015

Hello Julien,

Usually, Nick’s advice is spot on, but I have to disagree that it would be appropriate to apply an exception for exterior lighting to an indoor pool. I expect the exclusion for outdoor playing fields, etc relates to light pollution limitations, allowing player safety to supersede the restrictions. This would be akin to using the parking garage and parking lot lighting to be sued interchangeably. Keep in mind that exterior lighting is a mandatory provision and interior lighting is a prescriptive measure – apples and oranges. I think you are on the right track with the gymnasium alternatives. Section 3 includes specific definitions for interior versus exterior spaces and that should be what determines whether you use Table 9.4.5 or 9.5.1/9.6.1.

Just my 2 cents J

Cam Fitzgerald

Energy Opportunities/a 7group company