[Bldg-sim] deriving shorter timestep data from monthly or annual

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Thu Aug 27 13:08:43 PDT 2015

Dear Chris,
How about developing a full energy model with a decent amount of measured
data, then calibrating to actual utility data and actual weather?

The underpitch heating is probably a daunting task for any modeling engine;
it would be best to have some sub-meter data for that.  Nonetheless, the
model could become a starting point for understanding daily usage.
Refinements would follow as you get more actual data.

Many years ago, when working for a big university, we sent students around
campus on a several mile trek *every day* to record daily energy use so
that we could regress energy use against daily temperatures.  These days,
it seems that you can save leg power by using BMS data or data logging.
Short of some type of sub-metering or BMS metering, I think it's impossible
to gain a true understanding of what is happening.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Chris Yates <chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have monthly gas data for a soccer stadium and I'm trying to develop it
> toward daily (or even hourly) data so this can be used in subsequent
> assessments.
>
> My own efforts on previous assessments have extended to relatively crude
> application of multipliers (possibly based on a simulation study) and an
> overall divisor. This is very limited, especially in this case.
>
> In an ideal world, it would be helpful to develop the daily consumption
> weighted with the following factors:
>
>    - Parasitic losses - these can be estimated from when the facility is
>    largely closed during the off season
>    - Historic game fixtures - readily available from the web
>    - Weather, including about 1MW of underpitch heating
>
> I'm surrendered to the possibility that this is well beyond me! But, can
> anybody suggest excel functions or other software tools they may have used,
> or even what math for me to look up on Google?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Chris

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
CEO/President
The Building Performance Team Inc.
1631 Acacia Dr, GR, Mi 49504

Direct: 616.450.8653
jim at buildingperformanceteam.com

Website <http://buildingperformanceteamcom>l  LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-dirkes/7/444/413>

Life is not easy.  It’s never been easy. Expecting it to be easy is not a
healthy attitude.
Relax. Refresh. Regroup. Carry on.