[Bldg-sim] 90.1 - Exterior lighting parking

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Fri Aug 7 06:47:41 PDT 2015

To build on Elizabeth’s response:

If the fixtures illuminating what could be classified as “nontradable”
parking are also illuminating tradable surfaces (i.e. uncovered parking),
it is to your advantage for a LEED model to treat all parking areas as
uncovered.  GBCI would have you match wattage for those areas between
baseline/proposed cases, and you can’t “double-count” the area between
surface types.  The net result is that associated installed power is a
“dead load” on your relative savings potential.

If you are documenting installed lighting power to simply demonstrate
compliance with 90.1-2010 however (outside of a LEED project), such
non-tradable distinctions will generally help your case.  I like to avoid
more work than necessary however, and for a large exterior takeoff will
usually run the numbers first without carving out nontradable surface
distinctions.  In my experience: unless you have a lot of façade lighting
to account for, compliance can often be demonstrated with only tradable
surface allowances, and you can then just call it a day and move on to the
next thing.

Best of luck!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*