[Bldg-sim] adiabatic cooling

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Mar 25 10:46:28 PDT 2010

Hi Harakhlaal,

I'm not sure whether I can provide any clear answers, but I am quite
curious to see the answer to your question.

I recall discussing adiabatic heating/cooling in my thermodynamics
courses... it's basically the concept of raising/lowering temperatures
without adding or removing heat, but instead rather through changes in
fluid volume/pressure, right?  A real-world example of something akin to
this might be a spraypaint can getting cold as you release its
pressurized contents.

If that's the case, I'm struggling to understand why you might wish to
model such behavior within a building energy simulation... kinda sounds
hazardous to the health of the occupants =)!

Would you please describe your purpose a bit further?  Is there a
specific system/situation you are trying to model?  This may help others
help you determine a more appropriate tool-of-choice.  As a guess, are
you possibly trying to account for cooling in a space due to a
pressurized tank undergoing adiabatic cooling as it releases gas into
another system?

Back to fundamentals, and something I'd like to ask of those more
knowledgeable... I know for certain in DOE2.2/eQuest you can set up a
space with a set volume and with adiabatic (or no) surfaces - which will
account for preventing heat transfer, but I have not been exposed to
DOE2.2/eQuest varying the space pressure/volume over time, so I would
concur that this might not be possible in a literal sense... is this the
case?

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER