[Bldg-sim] Balance point temperature for houses

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Wed May 7 08:26:40 PDT 2008

Dr. Abaza :

The TREAT (Targeted Residential Energy Analysis Tool) whole building
energy simulation software package can determine a building's balance
point (both heating and cooling) given the building description. One can
construct a 'simple' model of a typical house in about 15 minutes, and
TMY2 weather files for all 50 states are included for driving the
model.  It would be pretty simple to make some parametric runs varying
both climate and envelope /infiltration to produce a range of balance
point temps. We have found both insulation levels and air infiltration
(tightness of the envelope) often have the greatest effect on the
balance point of a given structure, along with the temperature setpoints
used for heating and cooling. Significant internal gains, of course, can
also drive the balance points.

A 30 day fully functional version (free download) of the TREAT software
is available from http://www.treatsoftware.com

Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM
Vice President of Research and Development
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
ph: (607)-327-1647
http://www.psdconsulting.com
http://www.treatsoftware.com