[Bldg-rate] Occupany/Vacancy Sensors for Lighting Power

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Jul 9 08:36:21 PDT 2009

Hi Kevin,

Browsing the Bldg-rate archives, your question caught my eye and I
wanted to find the answer myself since I often design with more complex
system than simply "auto-on/off."

Here is an excerpt of a LEED CIR dated 4/25/2007. I believe it
(indirectly) answers your question:

QUESTION

"...

6. Lighting Controls
Will USGBC for LEED 2.2. allow Exceptional Calculations regarding energy
savings for occupancy sensor and time-of-day controls that exceed ASHRAE
90.1 code requirements that are greater than the Appendix G Table G3.2.
For example, LEED 2.1 rulings appeared to allow greater than 10% allowed
by Appendix G for occupancy sensors controlling normally 24 hour
interior stair lighting in a multi-family high-rise that would be
occupied only a small fraction of the time.
..."

RESPONSE

"...

6. Exceptional Calculation for any measure that is not accounted for in
the modeling protocol is accepted on a case-by-case basis.

..."

I think anyone would concede that "vacancy sensors" (manual on,
automatic off) would certainly result in less energy usage than a simple
occupancy sensor (automatic on, automatic off) in spaces with
significant daylighting.  The trick is, on foundation might you base
your assumption of an additional 10% power adjustment?

I would personally be very interested if anyone is aware of a study or
literature containing a figure (like the 10% assumption) that we could
refer to in order to account for the additional savings when the
end-user must manually turn on the lights in a space!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

25501 west valley parkway

olathe ks 66061

direct 913 344.0036

fax 913 345.0617

Check out our new web-site @ www.smithboucher.com

[Bldg-rate] Occupany/Vacancy Sensors for Lighting Power

Kevin Kyte
Thu Apr 30 07:16:50 PDT 2009