[Equest-users] Baseline Pump Power

Kevin Kelly kkelly at r3energy.com
Thu Jan 14 13:51:17 PST 2010

James is right.

The way that we were taught to do it was:

"There are several approaches to model 19W/GPM pump power. In one approach,
a simulation can be

performed without entering inputs for pump flow and pump power. The eQuest
report "PV-A Plant

Design Parameters" provides software generated values for pump power and
pump flow. This report

should always be used to verify the W/GPM of the baseline pumps. If the
ratio of pump power to pump

flow is equal to 0.019 kW/GPM, the pump power is ASHRAE compliant. If not,
the mechanical

efficiency should be modified to increase or decrease pump power.
Alternatively, the pump power input

can be modified. However, the flow rate should not be modified in the
baseline model since this may

result in unintended eQuest errors. Please note that as screenshot below
shows, 19 W/GPM

consumption is about equal to a pump having 60% combined motor and
mechanical efficiency operating

at 60ft head. Please refer to note 6 of ASHRAE 90.1 -2004 Table 11.3.2 A for
additional clarification."

Cheers,

Kevin Kelly, LEED AP

Energy Systems Analyst