[Equest-users] Chiller water heat recovery

Daniel Knapp danielk at arborus.ca
Tue Dec 7 13:45:47 PST 2010

Hello fellow eQuest users,

I'd like to model chiller water heat recovery in eQuest.  The procedure seems to be to attach a chiller to a hot water loop, such as the space heating or the DHW.  If I attach it to the DHW loop I see no savings.  DOE 2.2 Vol. 2 states that default supply setpoint for the DEFAULT-HW loop is 180F and it is highly unlikely that the return temperature will ever be less than the MAX-RECOVER-T for a chiller and that no heat will be recovered unless the supply temperature is reduced to the 90-120F range.  This seems a bit strange to me, given that what I'd really like to model is DHW preheating in eQuest where the incoming cold water is likely to be in the 40-50ºF range.  Is there some way to model this preheating directly?

Cheers,
Dan

—
Daniel Knapp, PhD, LEED® AP O+M
danielk at arborus.ca

Arborus Consulting
Energy Strategies for the Built Environment
www.arborus.ca
76 Chamberlain Avenue
Ottawa, ON, K1S 1V9
Phone: (613) 234-7178 ext. 113