[Equest-users] DAYSim and eQuest

Taylor Sharpe newspectrum at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:31:07 PDT 2010

*
Otto,
I am able to complete a project in DAYSim, getting output information in
.csv format, as well as the basic .html output for daylight factor, UDI etc.
 How am I able to integrate DAYSim data into eQuest?

You mentioned populating a schedule with the data...I'm not sure how to go
about doing this.

Regards,
-Taylor Sharpe

Otto Schwieterman* oschwieterman at fhai.com
<equest-users%40lists.onebuilding.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BEquest-users%5D%20How%20does%20eQuest%20know%0A%09initialFootcandlesforDaylighting%20Calc%3F&In-Reply-To=%3C81CD81BB0AC1FF41B8F014BA7512A740041DD08B%4000mail.ad.fhai.org%3E>
*Fri Jan 8 06:23:43 PST 2010*
*

Here is an alternate method to eQUEST's daylighting strategies:

>From my experience (and training from Marlin Addison), I believe that eQUEST does not model daylighting with much accuracy. I believe that the best method to handle daylighting is to run models on independent software (DAYSIM is free) and insert the results into lighting schedules. My general practice with lighting schedules is to force 100% of the lights to be on when the room is occupied and during the sameoccupied times, create a new schedule that shows the fraction of lights on from the DAYSIM output.

This method gives the modeler more control and flexibility with the
model and daylighting strategies. Many times we have 3 rows of lights
in a classroom and we typically force the row furthest from the window
always on when occupied so the minimum percentage of lights on during
daylighting is 33% (1/3).

*