[Equest-users] Underfloor Patchwork

Dakota Kelley dakotak at teliospc.com
Tue Aug 11 13:40:25 PDT 2009

Vikram,

I’ve had the same question, and I would love to hear other people sound off…

I believe eQUEST is trying to account for additional heat loss in perimeter zones, where the slab meets the foundation wall.  I’ve noticed that all the construction layers are the same except for the outer-most layer.  eQUEST usually creates a zone-specific layer like “EL1 UFMat (G.S1.U2.M1)” of type “R-value”.  The resistance of this material is what varies; core zones usually get something like R-100, and perimeter zones get something in the R-1 to R-20 range depending on whether foundation insulation is specified in the wizard.  If you choose the default core/perimeter zoning scheme, what eQUEST is doing becomes a little clearer.  The perimeter zones will all have a unique UF construction, but the layers will have identical properties.  Naturally, it gets more complicated with custom zoning when a perimeter zone extends fairly far into the core of the building.

To test my hypothesis I’d have to sit down with the ASHRAE Handbook, determine a specific construction’s F-value based on the location’s heating degree days, and then use design temps and the linear feet of perimeter exposure to backtrack into an equivalent U-value that I can compare to eQUEST.  However, the answer will still be an estimate at best.

To answer your question, I usually simplify the post-wizard defaults down to one core zone construction and one perimeter zone construction.  For the perimeter zones, I usually make a perimeter construction with a U-value equal to the average of the perimeter zones’ post-wizard UF constructions.  eQUEST does not account for the fact that the soil’s thermal properties fluctuate as it gains and loses moisture, so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it.

Thanks,

                         DAKOTA KELLEY

                                Project Designer

                                Office:      214-744-6199

                                Cell:         214-280-3825

                                Fax:         214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com <http://www.teliospc.com/>           3535 Travis St. Suite 115

dakotak at teliospc.com <mailto:dakotak at teliospc.com>              Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,

And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you

are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any

distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2009 Telios Corporation.