[BLDG-SIM] Bldg L/W ratio Reference Cases

John Ross Energy.wwind at cox.net
Mon Jun 4 13:00:41 PDT 2007

I recently ran a series of  1536 sq ft  single story residential
buildings, starting with 48 ft x32 ft,
changing the aspect ratio but leaving everything else the same. Then I
changed the roof from flat to attic and ran  it again using Energy 10
V1.8.  There was almost no difference in annual fuel consumption at all
from the aspect ratio changes.....The treatment of "attic" is not well
explained -- is the insulation flat on the floor or along the rafters? I
was told earlier that the areas for each face of the roof  were in the
plane of the roof not the flat projection, so we just increased the
surface area..
Do we add the gable ends to the wall areas ?

I cannot get a daylighting / SDHW / PV run to work on a nonsample
problem. The Eplus bombs, etc.  <Windows 98SE, Pentium 3 / 800Mhz, 256
MB memory,> {hey the Energyplus is on the
new machine don't laugh }

I keep getting another error  that I can't have more that one roof face
with just one heating
zone, yet under E10 V1.6 I used one upstairs zone and one basement zone
to analyze an L shaped Hip roof house, resulting in 6 roof faces and
everything was OK.  Comparison to the real house went well with the
differences being easily explained.

Is there a set of reference cases that we can run to compare EnergyPlus
runs to EQuest runs  to Energy 10 runs?  Say a one floor residential,
two floor residential, commercial midrise 3 to 4 story,
and a commerial high rise.

John R Ross  P.E.
Vienna,  VA